The Finished Product???

The Finished Product???
We decided to downsize!

Sunday, November 9, 2014

11/3 - Once more I'm playing catch-up with these posts. It's been only 6 days, but a lot has changed at the house. In a day and a half the whole house was taped. I missed the workmen that day, but you'll see them on the 8th. They are so efficient - no muss, no fussing over the little things. They walk around on their stilts, ducking through doorways, like it is their normal - and maybe it is. When we build the house in Easton, the tapers were French Canadian brothers. One of them had some sort of leg trauma - one was considerably shorter than the other - but on his adjusted stilts, he walked "normally". We always wondered if he was reluctant to take them off at the end of the work day.

The center island is beginning to take shape.

Our bedroom ceiling.

 Master Bath with the "costly mistake"

 Garage

11/5  Today the corners were attached. We wondered how they made the rounded edges on all the walls.

Some corner, somewhere.

 Living Room

Another kitchen view. The door on the right goes to the pantry. The arched door on the left goes into the study.

Study 

Garage storage

11/6  There wasn't anyone at the house today, BUT the "costly mistake" replacement is in the garage.

I thought we needed (smile) a ceiling light in our bathroom, so I started looking at stores, online, etc. I saw one at a store that I sort of liked, but it was much too big. I did a little internet investigating and found it in a copper color and a smaller size. The tile Jeff picked for the bathroom is very "earth" toned, so the copper might be good. It was a little quirky which could be a good thing. When the box arrived, I was a little disappointed because it was a smaller box than I imagined. Well, apparently I failed to read the "Needs Assembly" or whatever in the description. The initial part looked like Sputnik. Oh, for any males reading this, that white paper on the left is something called 'directions'. You might want to check them out sometime.


 The parts had parts! Directions now in full view!

 Ready for launch!

 Half-way through.

Tah dah! Oh, that white dot is just a styrofoam cover on the light. They have big "Do Not Touch" warnings all over the directions. Really, it's neat in person.

11/7  Costly mistake repair! It will look great. So much better than the little transom window.




 The bathroom will be so much brighter - 

Before

After

There were a lot of new boxes in the garage. It's the exterior vinyl trim. The big board is actually the ceiling of the entryway - it's bead board on the other side.



Our good friend, Judy Larrick, (head of the table) had a dinner for several friends at Circa. It was called "The Last Word". When you see Judy, ask her what it means.

11/8  I went to a Ukulele workshop given by Jim D'Ville entitled "Play Ukulele By Ear". Not only was he very, very funny, but also a good teacher. He has quite a few videos on YouTube and on his website, http://www.playukulelebyear.com. I don't think I'll ever listen to music in quite the same way. They had a raffle at the workshop, and this adorable girl, Madeline (who is in the Intermediate class at age 11) won a Uke and some other gifts. Here she is with Mr. D'Ville. The other photo is of all the participants singing "Happy Birthday" - the ukulele version.



Back to the house - when we got there about 5:00, there were workmen everywhere.  There was a crew outside putting on the vinyl, and inside they were putting on the last coat of spackle.


Before

After

 The men are all very good-natured about posing for photos. 







The piece of wood that will go in the entryway, had the neatest knot design. Doesn't it look like something that should be a cartoon character? It looks, to me, like a Lemur with his hands up.



While I'm on the subject of art, Jeff is trying to get the scratches out of our glass dining room table. (Not much luck so far. If you have any ideas, please let him know. Really.) He is. however, having a great time making designs with the polishing compound.



11/9  Speaking of ukuleles, today was our leing (?), getting leid (?), graduation ceremony at The Ukulele Academy of North Carolina. Some of the classes performed, and then anyone who wanted to get up on stage and play, had a chance. The little kids were terrific, and each and every one of them volunteered to perform a solo. Their biggest challenge was getting on the stool - except for one little guy who couldn't figure out which way to hold his ukulele. He got a laugh, and really milked it.

5 & 6 year old class

7 - 10's


 This one is going to be trouble!! He loved the spotlight.

   Our instructor, Kent Knorr, onstage. It's dark, but that's me in the white blouse with my bean lei. 

Yeah, caught up again.



No comments:

Post a Comment